Characteristics and differentiation criteria of dandelion:
- Very similar to the images shown
- Serrated leaves
- Hollow stem
- When cut off, whitish milky juice is produced
- Leaves and stems are practically hairless
- Yellow daisy or "dandelion"
- The size and serration of the leaves are very variable
These criteria must surely be met so that you can prepare a delicious dandelion salad. The common dandelion can be used almost all year round. Outside the flowering period, however, one should know the plant well enough, because without the hollow stem (& the flower), the safe destination for beginners can be tricky. Dandelions can be found almost everywhere in the lowlands.
Because dandelion has a strong and slightly bitter taste, it is worth using a creamy salad dressing. The original recipe recommends roasting a few cubes of bacon and chopping a hard-boiled egg and pouring it over the salad. Fried croutons in olive oil, sunflower seeds, smoked tofu or onion cubes are also ideal for a vegan version.
- 1 bunch of dandelion leaves
- fried bacon cubes or smoked tofu
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- Salad dressing (vinegar, oil, (herbs) salt, pepper, possibly mustard + mayonnaise or (soy) cream)